Friday, September 12, 2008

Six Months



First (Consumed) Solids - Bananas & Mama Milk!


Six Months
17lbs 26 in

It's called baby-led weaning. He eats whatever we eat. Provided it's not salty, spicy, dairy, crunchy or sugary. We have not graduated to meat, yet, mostly fresh fruits, vegetables & oatmeal. He's sitting up by himself pretty well, although he does teeter off to the side eventually. He rolls faster than I can keep up with him. (So says the bump on his head from rolling off the couch & onto the hardwood floor. But that is a memory I am trying to repress, thank you.) He still doesn't sleep. Wakes hourly & naps barely. What's my name? Firetruck for your peas & carrots, some days I am one foot in the happy house.

**********


I have a confession to make: I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I feel like any day now the Great Gazoo is going to appear & take blame for all the folly of the past 6 months.

I suppose I should get used to these feelings of failure (Why won't he sleep??? Is this good for him? What am I doing wrong? What's the answer?), but I really enjoyed living in a state of overconfidence. Instead, I find I have relocated to the state of oblivion & am leasing property in the state of exhaustion.

Diapering has been great fun, though. The beautiful cloth has become his wardrobe. Regular baby clothes, made for disposable diapers, don't fit over his now-fluffy butt. Instead, I have discovered the beauty & the joys of crocheted or knitted wool. Made by work-at-home-moms (WAHMs), "shorties" & "longies" come in the most brilliant colors & patterns, and with wool being a natural fabric, it's breathable & keeps cool when warm & warm when cool (who knew?!). The soaps you can get with which to wash the wool come in yummy scents (sandalwood is dreamy), and the lanolin keeps the wool WATERPROOF. I had no idea! So no diaper leaks, rashes, etc. Paired with a cute T-shirt, these sets have been dangerously fun to buy.

Um, I'm cut off, in fact, from diaper-buying for a little while, thank you Mr. Stolo. But I mean, how could I resist the ones with the embroidered pumpkin on the butt? It's his first Halloween after all! And, and, and, what about the WAHM who said she could embroider a HOBBIT for me? And of COURSE I just HAD to order the pair with the sock monkey embroidery. I mean ... C'MON!

Yeah. It's a problem. Intervention may be necessary soon. (But not before I find the perfect snowman diaper in honor of his first Xmas, OK??)

1 comment:

Amanda said...

LOL...Diapering is great fun! ;) And there is nothing wrong with him, some babies are just like that (usually the smart ones I am noticing), don't let anyone tell you different or make you feel bad. I had to learn that the hard way. Those babies usually turn out to be the most fun kids! Exhausting yes, but fun! And they won't stay this age forever...soon they will be doing things for themselves and your will start to get pieces of yourself back, but it will be a much better you than before. :)